Advanced Mediation Course Overview
The Advanced Mediation course is designed for dispute resolution professionals who are intent on taking their skills and practice to the next level. This course, organized around a multi-party mediation, deconstructs the mediation process into teaching modules, which include guidance and expertise from industry pioneers.
Practice and reflection is encouraged through online exercises and worksheets (available with course materials). Each module focuses on specific mediation skills unique to stages of the process. In addition, each module includes a discussion of ethical and other issues unique to mediating the complex case.
All participants in the Advanced Mediation Course will have access to our online Advanced Mediation forum, connecting them to a broader community of experienced professionals.
The course is usually completed in 40 – 45 hours.
What to expect:
- Learn the subtle skills that distinguish the advanced mediator from the beginner.
- Increase your awareness of the mediator’s role at each stage.
- Develop purposeful habits of mind or a “mediator’s mind™.”
- Understand the unique challenges presented by complex cases.
- Learn specific convening activities that foster participants’ willingness to participate.
- Promote more effective interactions and understanding through listening.
- Learn the importance of emotions and how to work with them.
- Recognize predictable characteristics and challenges during the different stages of negotiation.
- Develop a more complete repertoire of responses during negotiation.
- Learn techniques to encourage flexibility and promote innovation throughout the negotiation process.
- Better understand the role of insurance in the mediation process and its impact.
- Understand the prerequisites of a durable agreement and the steps you can take to ensure enforceability.
EMA’s Advanced Mediation course has been accredited with the California Bar Association for 18.5 hours of CLE, including 1.5 hours toward ethics and .25 hours toward Substance Abuse/Mental Health. After completion, you will receive a certificate from Edwards Mediation Academy for a 45-hour course. If you are from out of state, please contact your state bar association about reciprocal accreditation.
Advanced Mediation Course Samples
The course includes text, video and reflective exercises. Lessons are taught around an authentic role play. You move freely through the slides, at your own time.
Example from the Emotions module:
Example from Mid Stage Negotiation: