Advanced Mediation Course Overview
The Advanced Mediation course is designed for dispute resolution professionals who are intent on taking their skills and practice to the next level. This course, organized around a multi-party mediation, deconstructs the mediation process into teaching modules, which include guidance and expertise from industry pioneers.
Practice and reflection is encouraged through online exercises and worksheets (available with course materials). Each module focuses on specific mediation skills unique to stages of the process. In addition, each module includes a discussion of ethical and other issues unique to mediating the complex case.
The course is usually completed in 40 – 45 hours.
This is a great course that shows you how a mediation really works. My favorite part is the virtual shadowing, where Mr. Edwards allows you to watch his interactions during a mock mediation. It is so authenticate you will forget it is a mock mediation. Plus, the course has wonderful and on-point discussions by knowledgeable experts. This is a gold standard course and I am still taking notes from it.
-M. Troy Hazelton, esq., mediator
What to expect:
- Learn the subtle skills that distinguish the advanced mediator from the beginner.
- Increase your awareness of the mediator’s role at each stage.
- Develop purposeful habits of mind or a “mediator’s mind™.”
- Understand the unique challenges presented by complex cases.
- Learn specific convening activities that foster participants’ willingness to participate.
- Promote more effective interactions and understanding through listening.
- Learn the importance of emotions and how to work with them.
- Recognize predictable characteristics and challenges during the different stages of negotiation.
- Develop a more complete repertoire of responses during negotiation.
- Learn techniques to encourage flexibility and promote innovation throughout the negotiation process.
- Better understand the role of insurance in the mediation process and its impact.
- Understand the prerequisites of a durable agreement and the steps you can take to ensure enforceability.
- To qualify for a student discount, you must be enrolled in an accredited public or private university or college that grants degrees requiring not less than the equivalent of four years of full-time study (for undergraduate) or 2 years of full time study (graduate school).
- Please email us at the link below with the name of your school and indicate whether you are a student, educator, or administrator.
- We will send a discount coupon if eligible.
- Please email us
EMA’s Advanced Mediation course has been accredited with the California Bar Association for 29.5 hours of CLE, including 2 hours toward ethics and .25 hours toward Substance Abuse/Mental Health. After completion, you will receive a certificate from Edwards Mediation Academy for a 45-hour course. If you are from out of state, please contact your state bar association about reciprocal accreditation.
Advanced Mediation Course Samples
The course includes text, video and reflective exercises. Lessons are taught around an authentic role play. You move freely through the slides, at your own time.
Example from the Emotions module:
Example from Mid Stage Negotiation: