Mediation Skills for an Indian Audience
Mediation Skills for Mediators in India – Online Training
This course provides the same information as our regular Mediation Skills Course, but it has been augmented to better serve mediators who are located in India. The course emphasizes the key principles that beginning mediators should understand and how they apply in an alternative dispute resolution (ADR) environment. It is designed for individuals who wish to work in the commercial mediation field or community mediation arena and seek to proactively prevent disputes or settle disputes before they become lawsuits. Our students are professionals in the legal field, government, hospitals, educational institutions and the business world.
This course is taught by established mediation leaders, several of whom are widely acknowledged pioneers of mediation in India. The course is designed to be taken online, on your schedule, and in your own space. We recommend that you take the Mediation Skills course in modules, focusing on completing one module at a time. Then, spend a few days implementing what you have learned before beginning the next module. Practice and reflection are encouraged through online exercises and worksheets (available with course materials). Assessments by EMA are included.
Estimated course completion: 40 hours
What to expect:
- Understand the key principles of mediation and how to apply them.
- Recognize the importance of a systematic and thorough analysis of the conflict situation.
- Learn how to use communication techniques effectively, including active listening, strategic questioning, delivery, appropriate word choice, and non-verbal communication.
- Learn the art of negotiation – how to help parties resolve their dispute in a manner consistent with their individual needs and objectives.
- Understand the nuances of offering and accepting apologies during mediation.
- Learn how to create an environment of safety and hope that fosters meaningful dialogue.
- Become skilled in building connections with and between parties.
- Understand the connection between emotions and cognition.
- Learn how to proactively prevent disputes or settle disputes before they become lawsuits.
- Recognize that conflict is not inherently bad.
- Appreciate the influence of culture and bias on communication and conflict.
- Be able to identify ethical issues in mediation and understand how to respond appropriately.
- Understand how mediation skills can make you more successful in your current role, or help you move toward a new career.
Hear what former students of Bruce’s in India have to say:
“I met Mr. Bruce Edwards at a Mediator’s Training Programme organized by him along with the Centre for Advanced Mediation Practice in Bangalore (India) in February 2017. A remarkable trainer and an internationally acknowledged mediator… read more” – Prof. N. R. Madhava Menon Former Vice-Chancellor of National Law School of India University, Bangalore and Former Director of National Judicial Academy, Bhopal
“It was like the Mountain coming to Mohammed. Thank you Sir! …The entire program was carefully structured and every single minute was valuable” – Justice Anand Bryareddy, Former Judge, High Court of Karnataka
“In human interactions that are distracted and decisions that are hasty, Bruce taught to me the technique of active listening and a single mantra that is potent, “Decelerate!” In his lessons, you will learn how to seamlessly transfer the positive energy of settlent mood to parties who arrive stressed and leave refreshed.” – Justice K. Kannan (Retired), Chairman, Railway Claims Tribunal.
“With his vast experience as a mediator, his insights and reflections on the subject and his wonderful communication skills, Bruce Edwards is truly a master trainer. Sharing a training platform with him was a privilege.” – Sriram Panchu, Senior Advocate and Mediator, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
“Bruce’s training imparts the essence and spirit of mediation in a pure form. He encapsulates his several decades of experience, seamlessly and profoundly, into the 40 hours of training” – Laila T. Ollapally, Founder & Mediator, Centre for Advanced Mediation Practice
“Bruce brings to the teaching table years of mediation experience primarily in the USA — yet with his depth of knowledge and range of exposure, his insights into mediation generally and internationally, are both instructive and relevant for mediation in India. I am glad I attended his teaching sessions and would readily recommend his stellar work.” – Siddharth Raja
“The most valuable aspects of the course were the ‘Bruce Moments’ … Bruce’s language was thoroughly an eye-opener.” – Gitanjali Prabhu
The course includes text, video and reflective exercises. Lessons are taught around an authentic role play. You move freely through the slides, at your own time.
Convening Module Sample:
Click to hear our Indian mediation experts Niranjan Bhatt and Sriram Panchu talk about the state of mediation in India now, and where it needs to go: