Practice and reflection is encouraged through online exercises and worksheets (available with course materials). Each module focuses on specific mediation skills unique to stages of the process. In addition, each module includes a discussion of ethical issues and other issues unique to mediating the complex case.
All participants in the Advanced Mediation Course will have access to our online Advanced Mediation forum connecting them to a broader community of experienced professionals.
Through this course, you will:
- Learn the subtle skills that distinguish the advanced mediator from the beginner or “checklist mediator”.
- Increase awareness about the mediator’s role at each stage of mediation, developing purposeful habits of mind or a “mediator’s mind™.”
- Understand the unique challenges presented by complex cases and how to address these challenges to affect both process and outcome satisfaction.
- Understand the importance of fostering a willingness to participate in the dispute resolution process through specific convening activities.
- Learn how to manage the opportunity for more effective interactions while promoting understanding through listening.
- Learn more about the role of emotion in mediation and how to better work with emotions in mediation.
- Recognize predictable negotiation characteristics and challenges during the different stages of negotiation and develop a more complete repertoire of responses.
- Learn techniques to encourage flexibility and promote innovation throughout the negotiation process, including overcoming impasse.
- Better understand the role of insurance in the mediation process and its impact from design through negotiation.
- Understand the prerequisites of a durable agreement and steps you can take to ensure its enforce ability.