The Mediation Skills course emphasizes the key principles that beginning mediators should know, as well as how to apply them in a real world environment. This course, organized around a real world, two-party mediation, deconstructs the mediation process into predictable stages, with guidance and expertise from industry pioneers. It is for individuals who wish to work in commercial mediation, community mediation or mediate in the workplace. Our students learn how to mediate formal disputes, including those in litigation, as well as proactively prevent disputes.
For those who want to:
- Pursue a career in commercial mediation
- Learn the skills of dispute resolution, and develop their mediation competency
- Benefit from dispute resolution in the workplace… as well as in their personal lives
- Work in public service and learn how to “reach across the aisle” to bring together those who have opposing views
- Develop a deeper understanding of the mediation process and how it works
How we teach:
- We want you to learn the skills of mediation the right way… and that’s not through a textbook.
- We help you absorb the key principles of mediation by applying specific techniques in a real-world environment… by blending theory with practice.
- The course is taught around a two-party commercial mediation.
- Bruce Edwards, your instructor, breaks down the mediation process into simple stages… with commentary and lessons from experts in the field of mediation.
What you'll learn:
The Mediation Skills course includes:
- The key principles of mediation… and how to apply them
- The importance of a systematic and thorough analysis of conflict resolution
- How to design the most appropriate mediation process to fit the needs of all parties
- How to build connections, even with the most difficult parties
- The subtle art of negotiation… with consideration for the many influences of cultures and bias
- How to use communication techniques to your advantage
…and much more